Thursday, June 7, 2012

DESIGN A SPACE


Design a Space –City Store
20 Manchester Lane, Melbourne, VIC
03 9663 8991

Design a Space stores can be find in three different locations in Melbourne: Manchester Lane in the city, Chapel Street in Windsor and Brunswick Street in Fitzroy.  Their concept is that the selected designers rent a space within the store to sell their designs.  I loved the idea of the store and the level of freedom they allow the designers to have.  This is where you find rare one off pieces that you can’t buy anywhere else.  I used to sell some of my pieces at the street markets that I hand made myself.  I would use vintage fabric that I found in Japan and make them into dresses.  I have been looking for a place where I can sell these rare pieces and was very happy to hear about Design a Space from a friend I studied at uni with.

I am most familiar with the Melbourne City store as that is where I am stocked.  It is a really cool store located in an alleyway.  This almost secret location gives it the extra delight when you finally find the store.  The store has this crazy eclectic feel.  Each designer booth is bursting with their own energy of colour palette and design aesthetics.  My booth is in general very dark as I like to work with lots of black but bring in textured panels to create depth.  (Although some of my one off pieces are coloured capes and vintage silk dresses..)  My booth would be right next to another designer’s collection which could be full of colours and prints and highly contrasted against mine.  I love this tension that is present in the store. 

What is stocked there?
Young Australian labels- men’s wear, women’s wear, accessories, bags.  Everything is really cool and who says no to a one off piece ?


This is a photo of Pemily from the store.  I was trying to take a sneaky photo but she saw me and came out to say hi.  She is really cool, you should all go say hi to her!  I am the worst when it comes to taking photos, I always forget to take my camera..

No comments:

Post a Comment